Karndean are one of the world’s most renowned and respected luxury flooring companies. Karndean developing imaginative, innovative products – versatile, luxury vinyl flooring with the look of simply beautiful, natural floors.
Quality & Ranges
Karndean supply homes and businesses with Designflooring, floors that are stunning to look at yet easy to look after. Each comes with a selection of customizable features so you can create something really special and personal to you. With so many styles, finishes and formats to choose from, everyone can find something.
The following ranges include.
For the further information by product range, please see below.
Practical flooring designed to last
Karndean flooring can cope with the daily demands of busy family life. Stain resistant and easy to clean, Karndean floors can handle water spillages without warping, and a dropped mug or plate without chipping or cracking. Unlike carpets, our floors don’t harbor dirt, dust mites or bacteria. Designed to last for many years, each floor carries a lifetime residential warranty. Should any tile or wood plank be damaged, a spare can be fitted quickly by your installer. This is far more cost effective than damage to a portion of carpet or laminate, when the whole floor often has to be replaced.
How To Install Altro?
Altro Wood Safety
This 2mm wood-effect vinyl flooring comes in a wide variety of designs, sizes and shades. From bamboo-look fine design to wide plank classic & rustic design, you can choose whichever suits your style.
Altro Wood Safety is perfect for reception areas and any high traffic areas in hotels, leisure centres, offices, retails, colleges and universities, healthcare and care homes, resident rooms and student accommodation, serveries, bars and dining in restaurants and café areas.
There are some key points you need to pay attention to when installing Altro safety flooring:
• Make sure that you select the right product for the area type
• Altri safety flooring should be laid as in the Code of Practice BS 8203:2001+A1:2009.
• Check the requirements for subfloor with BS 8203:2001+A1:2009.
• Make sure you choose the correct AltroFix™ adhesive (you can check from Altro data sheets adhesives on their website).
• For areas that are prone to water spillage, complete installation must be sealed, for example with the usage of conventional clamping or welding type drain gulleys and access covers, sealing of pipes, toilet pans, door frames and any other sealing methods between the junction of flooring and wall. Check with Altro detail diagram sheet.
• Cut a 3mm groove evenly along each floor joint (except internal/external mitres), using a hand rotary grooving tool or automatic rotary grooving tool. We recommend to use special Altro automatic grooving blades since regular blades can be quickly destroyed when being used on safety flooring.
Forming a hot welded joint
• After the sheet vinyl flooring is cut and laid to adhered subfloor, you must hot weld any joints with Altro Weldrod™, using a 5mm high speed welding nozzle hot air welding gun.
• Weld the internal and external mitres on the coved sections.
• When cooled and mounted, cut the weld with the most appropriate tool, like a spatula fitted with a spatula guide or slit.
Protection and maintenance
• Make sure you cover and protect your Altro safety flooring for any other trades using the appropriate non-staining protective covering. Refer to Altro’s cleaning and maintenance for recommendations.
Laying Altro Static Dissipative safety flooring
• Install the Altro Walkway™ 20SD using the same procedure with standard sheet. However, only use recommended conductive adhesives.
For further information, about Altro follow the link below to their website:
How To Install Tarkett?
1. Transport and Storage
• Store all the rolls and boxes in a clean and dry indoor place and free from pollution
• Use only manufacturer’s recommended tools and accessories for handling all types of floorcoverings to avoid any damage to the material or people.
3. Subfloor Control
• Ensure that your subfloor is in good condition, i.e. flat, clean, free from any debris or residues, no marks (of felt pen or marker or ballpoint pens or paints), dry, solid, hard, smooth. Because the number 1 factor for successful installation is the subfloor quality.
• Always refer to regulations in your country (for relative humidity test, calcium carbide system, etc).
Absorbency – Porosity
• If the absorbency time of a drop of water is less than one minute, then the subfloor is too absorbent, which means you need to apply primer before leveling compound, with 1:1 dilution.
Planarity / Flatness
• Different country has different ways for measuring. In UK, tolerance must be less than 3mm over 2m for concrete/wood subfloor (and it also depends on localities, SR1 or 2).
Cracks and Joints
• Cracks: 1.3 to 1mm large. During the concrete drying process by contraction, cracks can appear.
• You must treat micro cracks with a primer.
• To ensure that your subfloor is resistant enough to compression and indentation, use a sclerometer to measure the hardness of the concrete.
• To avoid colour migration and any other damage, ensure that the subfloor is free from contaminants like hydrocarbon stains, paints, chemical residues or laitance on the surface.
• To avoid visual defect/telegraphing effect, ensure that the subfloor is free from any particles, dust, traces of felt pen or marker.
Subfloor types - Preparation
• Preparation for Concrete/cement base
Old Subfloor (Renovation)
Preparation for terrazzo or ceramic tiles:
Preparation for Wood parquet (glued, not floating):
• Heating must be stopped at least 48 hours before screeding and installing floorcovering
Primer (solvent/water based, PU, Epoxy):
Materials for Installation
Some key points you need to pay attention to:
• For linoleum, use a notched trowel. Ensure you use appropriate type according to the backing. For jute backing, you need 300g/m2 – 350g/m2, using B1 spatula (TKB model). For foam backing, you need 200g/m2 – 300g/m2, using A2 spatula (TKB model).
4. Installation – General Rules
• Install the sheets parallel to incoming light in reasonable square rooms.
• First measure the room the installation is about to commence
For diagonal installation, follow the picture below:
• When installation in a quarter is done, start scribing excessive materials.
• You could either do hot welding (suitable for all types of flooring) or wet welding (suitable for PVC HE only).
• First groove the materials appropriately.
• Must be done min 24 hours after installation.
5. After installation, there are few points you need to remember:
• Always check for any adhesive marks, stains and dust and clean them all.
For further information, about Tarkett follow the link below to their website:
Karndean Art Select
The Art Select collection by Karndean is a premium range of LVT which guaranteed will
With 3 mm thickness and 0.7mm wear layer, the Art Select range is hardwearing, practical,
The Art Select collection is one of small options that offers truly realistic wood parquet-look
At the end of the day, whichever style, designs, finishes and shades you choose, when you
Karndean Da Vinci
Karndean’s Da Vinci collection features a timeless design in both wood and stone effects,
The Da Vinci wood tiles collection is designed to replicate Acacia, Oak, Walnut and the
As for the Da Vinci stone collection, they are designed to replicate the beauty and textures of
With 3 mm thickness planks/tiles and 0.7 mm thick wear layer, the Da Vinci range is durable,
As in the name, Michelangelo collection by Karndean is a tribute to the well-known painter
Michelangelo by Karndean is guaranteed to transform your dull boring space into a vibrant
Available in 2.5 mm thick with 0.5 mm coated polyurethane (PU) wear layer, the surface of
With so many choices of designs and shades, whether you have a traditional taste or an
Karndean Van Gogh
As the name implies, Van Gogh collection by Karndean is actually a tribute to the great
Van Gogh collection replicate the precise the look and finish of real timber such as walnut,
Made from highly durably vinyl, Karndean’s Van Gogh is available in large planks with the
The installation of this LVT floors is very easy with 2 formats to match your needs. Whether
Karndean’s Van Gogh might not be the cheapest option of LVT floors in the market, but it
Karndean’s Opus is conceived to last over time while providing a modern and clean look to
Karndean’s Opus collection includes the wood effect planks and stone effect tiles, with an
The Opus wood effect range has a wide variety of shades which resembles different species
If you would like to have modern large floor tiles, the Opus stone range is your answer. The
With 2.5 mm thickness and polyurethane (PU) coated 0.55 mm wear layer, the Opus range
Karndean Knight Tile
Knight Tile by Karndean is when beauty and elegance meets functionality and value for
With more than 30 styles of wood effect vinyls, the Knight Tile collection is available in
As for the stone range, the Knight Tile collection truly replicates the look of natural stones
Just like any other Karndean’s collection, the Knight Tile range is well known for its
With the widest choice of tiles and planks and the most pocket friendly range from Karndean,
How To Install Karndean?
Some key points you need to pay attention to:
Acclimatisation of Material Before Installation
Laying Karndean Over Various Floor Types
Installing Karndean over Sub-floors
When installing products, ensure that the sub-floors moisture level is below 75%RH (tested with hygrometer in accordance with BS8203-4; 2001). If the moisture level exceeds 75%RH, you need to install a surface damp proof membrane (DPM).
Concrete/Sand Cement Screeds (New)
For new concrete floors, the moisture level must not exceed 75%RH (dry). The floor must be cleaned to eliminate contamination. After that, concrete floors must be applied with appropriate smoothing compound with minimum 3mm thickness. If the moisture level is above 75%, you should consult with your supplier regarding the needs of DPM installation.
Power Floated Concrete
For power floated concrete which moisture level is below 75%RH, it needs abrasion before applying a primer and must be applied with appropriate smoothing compound with minimum 3mm thickness. If it below 75%RH, it needs abrasion before a DPM is applied to.
Test the floor for any dampness and contact your supplier for consultation should there be any dampness. Check for any unstable, loose or broken tiles on the floor area and remove them if there’s any. Deep holes must then be filled with rapid drying mortar. The floors’ surface must be degreased, washed and scrapped before applying primer and compatible smoothing compound with minimum 3mm thickness. For old tile, you may need to apply a second topcoat of primer and smoothing compound to eliminate sinking of smoothing compound over the grout lines.
Degrease and then rinse the surface with clear water before applying primer and compatible smoothing compound with minimum 4mm thickness.
Standard Floorboards/Tongue and Groove
Secure the floorboards, fasten the loose boards and replace any broken boards prior to setting a minimum 6mm flooring grade plywood, fixing at maximum 150mm centers. After that a full coat of Karndean skim coat can be applied over the plywood.
Undulating or Flexible Timber Floors
Apply a primer over the plywood and coat of fibre reinforced smoothing compound with minimum 3mm thickness for undulating timber floors.
Overlay with flooring grade plywood of 6mm set to a maximum center of 150mm before applying full coat of Karndean skim coat.
Wood Mosaic Panel, Woodblock, Wood Strip
These materials should not be overlaid with waterproof vinyl, thus if you found any of these products installed directly to the ground/asphalt/pitch you should remove them. Check if all flooring fit securely if it installed onto a wooden floor and treat them as timber floors.
Flooring Grade Plywood Floors
For smooth joints and fixings in plywood, you can either apply a full coat of Karndean skim coat or apply primer and coat of fibre reindorced smoothing compound with minimum 3mm thickness. Treat any plywood floors less than 6mm thick as chipboard.
Remove any laminate floor coverings together with any underlay and laminate flooring accessories. The subfloor should be treated according to the exposed subfloor.
Contact your local supplier for consultation.
Remove all paint back to its original base pri,e using machine before applying 3mm thickness of compatible smoothing compound.
Remove any adhesive residue. The floor should be treated according to the subfloor exposed.
Miscellaneous Floors Including magnecite, granwood, anhydrite
Contact your local supplier for consultation.
Existing Floor Coverings (Linoleum, PVC, Thermoplastic)
Remove the existing floor covering and any adhesives residues. The floor should be treated according to the subfloor exposed.
Underfloor Heating (all types)
To make sure the surface temperature is not above 27°C (80°F), the materials must be insulated. Switch off the underfloor heating 48 hours before, during and after the installation then increased to working temperature gradually. Only use Karndean Temperature or epoxy adhesives.
Electrical Underfloor Heating (extra information)
Check with your underfoor heating manufacturer to see if the system is compatible with Karndean flooring. For concrete and timber constructions sub floors, you must coil the wire system into a base layer of reinforced fibre smoothing compound to conceal the cable. A second coat of primer and reinforced fibre smoothing compound must be applied as a finish coat. Apply surface with primer and compatible smoothing compound of minimum 3mm thickness for underfloor heating pipes that are set into concrete.
For any further instructions, consult Karndean or your local supplier.
Only use these adhesive below for all Karndean flooring products. Remember to use an A2 trowel to apply all Karndean adhesives.
Epoxy resin is a two-part mixtures. Mixed both components to a smooth consistency using a drill and paddle. Pour out the content within 5 minutes of mixing time or it will harden if left inside the container in 15 minutes. You have only 1 hour working time before the resin gets hard too. It is recommended to any areas that are prone to moisture and high temperature. Remember to wear eye protection and gloves when using this product.
High Temperature Adhesive (HT)
It is a acrylic adhesive which has been modified with improved service temperature. Ideal to be used in areas prone to direct sunlight and excessive heat. The floor should be dry fitted in sections. After that, remove the dry flooring including cuts before applying High Temperature adhesive with an A2 trowel. Rolled over using hand roll over and wipe any excess adhesive immediately using a clean damp cloth. Always work in sections as the materials must be installed in wet adhesive and this HT adhesive open time is only more or less 15 minutes.
Special Note About Conservatories.
Install the floor with epoxy resin in areas that are prone to extreme direct heat 50°C or above. Keep the area in constant temperature of 18°-26° before, during and 24 hours after installation. Shade any windows to keep the constant temperature for 48 hours after installation if necessary.
Acrylic adhesive is often use in most residential and commercial installations. When installing with this adhesive, materials must be wet bonded, thus it is best to work in sections as the open time for this adhesive is approximately 15 minutes.
Pressure Sensitive Adhesive (PS)
Ideal to be used in most residential and commercial installations as semi dry/tack. You have more or less 2 hours working time once the adhesive is in semi-dry condition. Always use A2 trowel for installations.
For further information, about Karndean follow the link below to their website:
Karndean v Hardwood
Karndean Designflooring gives you the unique grain and knot details, but without the practical difficulties.
Karndean v Stone and Ceramic Tiles
Natural stone and ceramic flooring can be hard to manage and weight is often a problem, especially if you’re looking to install in a room upstairs. Karndean is much lighter, flexible and easier to install.
Karndean v Carpet
Our floors do not harbour dust mites or bacteria – unlike carpets.
Karndean v Laminate and Engineered Wood
Laminates and Engineered Woods are known for looking manufactured and unrealistic in comparison to real wood flooring. Karndean’s product designers beautifully replicate the look and feel of real wood products using advanced manufacturing techniques giving you the look of natural timber without the practical difficulties of maintaining wood flooring.